Monday, May 19, 2008

Beantown Shenanigans


I know, it's been a while since I've blogged (not like people actually read my blog anyways). But to be fair, I've been extremely busy at work, which to me is a godsend. As a result, I've actually got some interesting things to blog about.

And so it goes... fairly recently, my company flew myself and a work colleague of mine up to Boston to catch a Red Sox game. I flew out of DC at 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning. The sun was coming up and it was apparent that a beautiful day loomed ahead for an unusually cold Spring in DC.

Fast forward 1.5 hours... touch down at Logan airport. Weather conditions = overcast, pounding rain, and 48 degree's... FUCK! If you haven't noticed yet, I've lost my cold weather skin and have molded myself into a "lil bitch" for lack of a better term when life concerns temperature and weather conditions.

Anyways, the Sox were playing the Tampa Bay Rays (who cares, I don't). I lasted three innings before I felt the urge to get out of my overpriced seat and roam around Boston for a bit.

I started at a local brew pub called Beer Works right outside of Fenway Park. There is something to be said about the irony involved of the situation where you are holding a ticket to Fenway Park in your left hand and simultaneously grasping a frosty local brew 500 feet outside the stadium in your right hand while also watching the game on a 20 inch HD television.

I had two pints of some local brew who's name escapes me right now, but 25 minutes later I felt myself swirling and asking some random street urchin where I could find the "Metro". "You mean the T-Train?" came the obvious reply.

My impressions of Boston, (I've been there before mind you):

-Dark and dreary New England town. - I understand why the English felt so at home.
-Overwhelming sense of history.
-Seafaring community (they call me Captain Obvious).
-"I'm from Boston, I don't give a fuck (pronounced 'fack')."
-Only 1 hour from Cape Cod by ferry (Province Town), the second most liberal, artsy, rainbow city outside of San Fran.

Anyhow, all things considered, it seemed like a great town to grow up in and consequently get the fuck out of STAT! All things considered, I did get to see a great friend of mine from my community college days at MCC.

The bottom line, it was a great experience that I'll never forget. However, come July Boston, you'll notice a Nissan Frontier speeding by on route 3 with a destination of Province Town to hang with my family and enjoy a different pace of life. Beach Life!!!

No comments: